The Digital Nomad Visa in Spain is a solution for remote workers who aim to reside temporarily in the country while continuing their work for a company based outside of Spain. This visa offers a unique opportunity for non-European Economic Area (EEA) citizens to immerse themselves in the cultural and social benefits of Spain while pursuing a nomadic lifestyle.
If you are a remote worker in Spain and have questions about the digital nomad visa, Lusa Legal’s team of professionals can provide you with the guidance you require.
Who qualifies for a digital nomad visa in Spain?
To be eligible for the Spain Digital Nomad Visa, applicants must:
- Be non-Spanish and non-EEA citizens
- Be employed by a non-Spanish company or have clients outside of Spain, with a contract to present.
- Have a global income with no more than 20% earned from Spanish companies.
- Not have held residency status in Spain in the past five years prior to the application.
- Have been working remotely for at least three months for the same company, with written evidence from the company.
- Provide proof of a real and continuous activity for at least one year from the company.
- Prove financial means of at least 28,000 euros for the applicant and 9,000 euros for each family member.
- Hold a clean criminal record and not have a previous prohibition of entry to Spain.
- Have valid private health insurance coverage throughout Spain.
- Provide proof of accommodation for their stay in Spain.
How can I apply for digital nomad visa?
The application process for the Spanish Digital Nomad Visa involves submitting an application form to a local Spanish Consulate or Embassy. If you apply for a visa at the Spanish Consulate in your home country you will receive a one year visa which can then be upgraded to a three-year residence permit. If you choose to apply after arriving for Spain with a tourist visa, you will be entitled to apply directly for a three-year residence permit. Upon approval, the visa holder will be allowed visa-free travel within the Schengen Area of the European Union.
Renewable residency permits may extend the validity for an additional two years, for a total of five years of residency in Spain. While applying for a nomad visa prior to traveling to Spain is an option, it is a much simpler process to apply after arriving to your Spanish destination.
How long is the digital nomad visa good for in Spain?
The Spanish Digital Nomad Visa will be a temporary solution for remote workers who wish to reside in Spain. Upon initial approval, the visa will be valid for a period of one year. After that they have the opportunity to convert their Digital Nomad Visa into a longer-term temporary residency permit, with a maximum validity of three years.
Those who have obtained a renewable residency permit, will have the ability to extend the validity of their temporary permit for an additional two years upon renewal, allowing for a total of five years of residency in Spain. After the fifth year, foreign remote workers may be eligible for permanent residency, provided they continue to meet the requirements set by the Spanish government.
What are the tax benefits for remote workers in Spain?
The Spanish Digital Nomad Visa offers tax benefits, such as a reduced non-resident income tax rate of 24% on income up to 600,000€ and a lowered required period of non-residence for tax purposes of 5 years. The special tax regime can be applied for six months after obtaining the residency permit and can be enjoyed for five years. Digital nomads are considered non-residents for tax purposes, thus exempting them from paying wealth tax and completing informative models of their patrimony.
For those seeking assistance in obtaining a Spanish Digital Nomad Visa, Lusa Legal offers professional guidance throughout the application process. Our team of experienced attorneys can ensure that all necessary documents and requirements are met, making the process as smooth and stress-free as possible. Contact Lusa Legal today to schedule a consultation and take the first step towards realizing your dream of residing and working in Spain as a digital nomad.
+34 605 33 60 90 (Send us a WhatsApp message, and we will reply as soon as possible)
€ 2000 for the applicant
€ 1000 for each family member
* Estimated service price, total amount will depend on the particular case and additional services required.
VAT is not included in the price.