The Process of Obtaining Spanish Citizenship
Applying for citizenship status in Spain can take up to several years and it is quite complicated process. Our legal team at Lusa Legal are experts in the field of obtaining citizenship in Spain. We want your Spanish citizenship experience to be a pleasant and exciting one and we are here to offer our guidance, through this process, every step of the way.
Spanish Citizenship Requirements
There are a great deal of requirements that must be met when applying for Spanish citizenship. It is extremely important that all of the appropriate documents be submitted and that they are all properly filled out, in detail and are legible. These documents should be carefully read, answered correctly and meticulously filled out. Once completed, we highly recommend that the Spanish citizenship application be reviewed and double checked for accuracy. If any mistakes are found or the application is unreadable, it is likely that citizenship will be denied. Patience is also key when applying for citizenship. The reviewal process can be a lengthy one, it may take some time to receive a response from the Spanish Immigration office.
The following are a list of general requirements that must be submitted when getting Spanish citizenship:
- Proof of continued residence in Spain, generally for a ten year period and two years for Iberoamerican countries, Andorra, Filipines, Guinea Ecuatorial, Portugal and Sephardic countries.
- A completed Spanish citizenship application
- A copy of a valid passport
- Valid criminal background check from the country of origin (If there is any criminal activity on record in the last five years it is not recommended that you apply. The Spanish authorities are very strict in this matter and will not grant citizenship)
- A copy of the birth certificate from the country of origin
- Proof of current Spanish address (city registration or census certificate)
- Proof of successful completion of the citizenship test in Spanish (the DELE language exam)
- Proof of successful completion of the constitutional and sociocultural exam (the CCSE exam)
- A copy of a valid marriage certificate if applicable
- If the applicant is a refugee then a copy of a Foreigner Identification card proving refugee status is required along with a valid copy of the certificate from the Asylum office
- Proof of payment of the application fee
As indicated, prior to being granted Spanish citizenship, there are two tests that must successfully be completed. The first is the DELE language exam. This test enough level is A2. The CCSE exam must also be completed, which tests one’s knowledge about the history, politics, geography and culture of Spain. At Lusa Legal, we will provide you with full information regarding both tests and manage the appointment to be able to write them.
Spanish Citizenship by Marriage
A commonly asked questions is whether it is possible to obtain Spanish citizenship through marriage, and the answer to this is yes. With the proper documentation, according to the point above, proof of marriage, proof of the Spanish spouse’s citizenship and city registration or census documentation, obtaining Spanish citizenship by marriage is possible. It’s also possible to apply for citizenship after 1 year being married.
Sephardic Jews Spanish citizenship
If you are seeking Sephardic Jews Spanish citizenship, or Spanish citizenship Jewish decent, citizenship will be granted as long as proof of Sephardic heritage can be given or you hold a Sephardic surnames eligible for Spanish citizenship.
Descendants of Spanish Citizens
Spanish citizenship by descent will be granted if a copy of a valid birth certificate can be provided proving that the applicant’s mother or father was a Spanish citizen.
Obtaining Spanish Citizenship in Spain with us
As you might see, there are a lot of options of getting citizenship in Spain. If you are seeking detailed information regarding each type, Lusa Legal is always ready to assist you. We are experts in Spanish citizenship law, experienced different cases and we are ready to help you. It only takes one phone call or email to be on your way to becoming a Spanish citizen. Get a consultation now: +34 607 29 44 28.